CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 1, 2010

Oscar

So, there is no easy way to put this. Oscar is gone. He was fine last night. I caught him curled up on Kirra's bed fast asleep. He was the inspiration for all her bedtime stories (Oscar was secretly an Astronaut and had wonderful adventures to Mars).

Shawn found him this morning creeping out of the hole in the side of the couch (whole other story there, I will have to post about it later) acting lethargic and whining. We kind of brushed it off thinking that he must have picked up some of the crap that has been floating around our house this past week. Well, around 1:30 I get a call from Shawn saying that he was taking Oscar to the vet. I really didn't think anything of it, he's only 10, which in the way of cat's is relatively young. 2:30 Shawn calls me and says that they have found a bloody mass on the inside of his thigh and they had just done some blood work and were going to do a biopsy on the mass. 3:00 Shawn calls and says that I have to get down to the vet's office. I rush down and there is my wonderful cat curled up in the corner not moving. He cries out as I pick him up to pet him. He doesn't even purr. He settles down and just lets me pet him as we listen to the vet lay out our options, which pretty much meant putting him in more pain just so we could have 6 more months to a full lifetime. At that point, I am thinking, okay we could have YEARS more with him, but then he tries to stand and his back legs collapse under him. That's when I realize that I can't make him live like that.

So, here is to my wonderful cat, who even though he drove me nuts and made me do more laundry that I would have liked. Who would crawl under the covers to cuddle and purr (the vibrations from him would make your chest rattle), who loved being held like a baby and was my comfort. I will miss you dearly, but I am glad that you are with your friend Andy.



1 comment:

Brian said...

Animals are special, there is a reason they are here. There is a reason that they were saved from the flood by Noah as commanded by the Lord. They have living souls and will be resurrected. “So we see that the Lord intends to save, not only the earth and the heavens, not only man who dwells upon the earth, but all things which he has created. The animals, the fishes of the sea, the fowls of the air, as well as man, are to be recreated, or renewed, through the resurrection, for they too are living souls.” (Conference Report, October 1928, p. 100.)
-Joseph Fielding Smith